Irish Railway Record Society
Brick Yard Siding
CARSE & MICHAEL J WALSH
In Journal 191, p175, Barry
that the (1946) WTT (working timetable) listed the Athy Brick Siding, but no
trains were booked to serve it. It was located a little over a mile north of
Athy station, on the Up side, and was accessed by a facing turnout coming
Research in the Society’s
collection of GS&WR circulars and timetables has provided more
information on this little-known and long-forgotten siding, while Ordnance
survey maps from the early 20th century also allow the layout at this
location to be established.
The same research has also
enabled us to provide definitive information on the singling of the line
between Cherryville Junction and Carlow to provide rails for the Athy &
Wolfhill Colliery Railway and the Castlecomer Colliery Railway.
START OF SERVICE TO ATHY
BRICK YARD SIDING
The Siding was not listed in
the station bank for the Carlow line in the WTT from Nov 1, 1899 until
further notice. It was listed in
the WTT from Jun 1, 1900 until further notice, the next following issue in
the IRRS collection.
There are no weekly GS&WR
circulars in the IRRS collection from before 1901. There are sporadic
circulars from 1901-1910. The first full set is for 1910. Thus it is not
possible to determine a date of installation for this Siding from circulars.
In the 1900 WTT, the Siding
was served, in the Up direction only, by an evening 20:50 “all stations”
goods from Bagenalstown to Kingsbridge, which was scheduled to spend 40
minutes at the “ATHY (Brick Siding)” – 23:15-23:55. In the WTT from
November 1902 to February 1903, this train now left Kilkenny at 18:45, was
at Athy from 23:23 to 00:48, and served the “Bk. Sd.”, as the WTT by now
referred to it for just 10 minutes, from 00:53 to 01:03. The detailed
timings varied slightly over the years, but the call at the Brick Yard
Siding was always a late-night event. The siding had a short headshunt, and
presumably wagons were moved to and from the Brickworks by horse, the
locomotive merely working wagons to and from the headshunt.
REMOVAL OF ATHY BRICK YARD
GS&WR Circular No. 1566 for week ending Saturday, 14
September, 1918 records, under the heading CASTLECOMER COLLIERIES’
RAILWAY, that on Sunday, 14 September, 1918, the Down line Kildangan –
Athy was to be dispensed with and ETS (electric train staff) introduced over
former Up line. Loop facing points were to be provided at Kildangan from the
Athy direction and the Athy Brick Yard Siding connection was to be
removed. The records for 1917-18 are not necessarily complete, but the final
WTT in the Society’s collection to show a train calling at the “Bk.
Sd.” is dated March 1917 (presumably 1 March, but that is not stated). The
next WTT in the collection is not until December 1918. The circulars may
enable an earlier definitive date for cessation of service to the siding to
be established, but with the disconnection of the siding on 14 September
1918, it could certainly not have had any service after that date. Despite
this, Athy Brick Yard Siding remained listed in the WTTs, for more than
another forty years, until at least 1957!
SINGLING FROM CHERRYVILLE
JUNCTION TO CARLOW
GS&WR Circular No. 1497
for week ending Saturday, 19 May, 1917 records that on Sunday, 3 June, 1917,
the Down line Athy – Mageney was to be dispensed with and ETS introduced
over the former Up line.
Circular No. 1500 for week
ending Saturday, 9 June, 1917 records, under the heading ATHY AND WOLFHILL
COLLIERY RAILWAY, that on Sunday, 3 June, 1917, the Down line Mageney –
Carlow was to be dispensed with and ETS introduced over the former Up line.
The work must not have been done on this date, because precisely the same
entry appeared in Circular No. 1501 for the following week ending Saturday,
16 June, 1917, with the singling now to be carried out on Sunday, 10 June,
A new signal cabin at Athy was
commissioned on Sunday, January 27, 1918, (Circular No. 1534 for week ending
Saturday, 9 June, 1918) and the singling between Kildangan and Athy followed
on 14 September, as reported already above.
In the final stage, on Sunday,
November 24, 1917 (Circular No. 1577 for week ending Saturday, November 24,
1918), the Down line Cherryville Junction – Kildangan was dispensed with
and ETS introduced over the former Up line, with ETS instruments in
Cherryville and Kildangan cabins.
Thus initially Kildangan
retained its second platform and a working loop. By the time of the 1935
Appendix, Kildangan had only one platform in use, as was the case from then
on up to closure. It was demoted to a Halt in the early 1930s, appearing for
the first time as Kildangan Halt in the WTT effective from 1 July 1932.
The date when Kildangan ceased
to be a crossing place and lost its signal cabin remains to be established.
Most likely, however, this took place during the great wave of singling and
weeding-out of redundant crossing loops that was carried out by the GSR
between 1925 and 1930.
Copyright © 2017 by Irish Railway Record Society Ltd.